Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Mama Mia!

 My favorite uncle wrote me the other day. The time stamp on his text told me it was 98 minutes after the cocktail hour, so I knew there would be an unreasonable request. This is part of his whimsical charm. Currently, he's obsessed with the movie Mama Mia! and in particular, the song "Thank You for the Music" (ABBA, of course). He asked if I would learn the song and record it for him. As if I could touch Amanda Seyfried's belt-it-out vocals. I agreed because I hate to disappoint.


I am like a dog and live only in the present. I ordered the sheet music on the spot and then forgot about the whole thing until the score arrived in the mail. Then: panic. Alarm. Resignation. I cursed a little when I noticed an unreasonable number of sharps in the piece, and then sat down to try to peck it out. I read music at a third grade level. Then I listened to the song again. I too love ABBA, but this is not a song that trips out of the mouth whilst one is showering in the same way Dancing Queen, Fernando, and Waterloo do. It's stage-y. Has weird and unexpected twists and turns...and well, I don't like it much. Maybe it will grow on me. I said I'd learn it. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. It's very much like something at the end of a musical. Maybe get the Karaoke version?

    ReplyDelete